piątek, 19 stycznia 2007

How Hexy got his way with Push

There a funny little tidbit in LA Times online edition about how Manchester Monarchs GM and Kings assistant GM, Ron Hextall, got his way around Dean Lombardi with promising younster Konstantin Pushkarev. By far the best bit is a wrap-up of how a telephone conversation between Lombardi and Hextall went after Pushkarev wanted promotion to NHL and more playing time. This happened when Hexy went to Manchester to "fix" the Kazach player:

"Hex is down there and I call him and I'm losing my patience," Lombardi said. "I'm in Western Canada, waiting in this huge line to cross the border and I'm yelling into the phone, 'Get him out of here. I don't want him around our players anymore.'

"I'm out of my car and I'm just screaming. The border guard is looking at me and wants to go through my trunk now. He was ready to frisk me, people are beeping their horns behind me and all I hear in my ear is Hex saying, 'Calm down, I'll take care of this.' … I'm yelling at him, 'He's going to tell every other player to try to go somewhere else to get their way.' Hex is just saying, 'Trust me, Dean, I can get to this guy.' These are the critical moments in the development of a player."
Be it "War and Peace" by Lombardi for Frolov, or "Critical Moments" by Hextall, both of the GMs seem to find a way to get their way with the young Euro players.